Vadodara City Information
Vadodara is the largest in Gujarat and was earlier known as Baroda. The city is situated at the banks of Vishwamitri River, which is actually near to the Gujarat’s capital, Gandhinagar. When it comes to the population of this city, it is near about 2 million as per the survey of the year 2011. The royal family of Marathas used to live in the Lakshmi Vilas Palace, which is today open for general public to visit and explore. The palace is a residence to the entire Gaekwad Dynasty and also the place where Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda stands. The university is known as the largest university in the entre Gujarat. When read in details, the city has a rich history that dates back to the times of kings and queens.
Known as the Sanskari Nagari of India, Vadodara serves as an essential hub of industry, education and culture of western India. When it is about the highest GDP contributing industries of Vadodara, pharmaceuticals, foreign exchange services petrochemicals, chemicals, IT, engineering and plastics are counted on the top.
The city also houses some of the large scale industries as well that precisely includes Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Limited (IPCL), Gujarat State Fertilizers & Chemicals (GSFC), Gujarat Alkalies and Chemicals Limited (GACL), Indian Oil Corporation (IOCL) and others. Moving on to the other public sector units, they are Gujarat Industries Power Company Limited (GIPCL), Heavy Water Project, Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL) and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
|Distance from Gandhinagar||126 kilometers (78 mi) NE (Rail & Air)|
|Distance from Mumbai||395 kilometers (245 mi) S (Rail & Air)|
|Distance from Ahmedabad||100 kilometers (62 mi) NW (Road)|
Vadodara temperature and climate
When talking about the climate of Vadodara, Gujarat, the city experiences semi-arid climate. This climate has been classified under the Köppen's Climate classification, which classifies different climates in different categories. Vadodara basically has three main climates including summers, monsoon and winters.
The hottest summer months here are April, May and June while the coldest ones are December and January. However, even the extremist of temperatures are bearable without causing any troubles to your regular life. In addition to this, the rainfall here is 93 centimeters or 37 inches on an average. The temperature table below discusses the different temperature that are experienced by Vadodara in different months.
|Climate data for Vadodara|
|Record high °C (°F)||36.2
|Average high °C (°F)||29.5
|Average low °C (°F)||12.5
|Record low °C (°F)||−1.1
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||2.2
|Average rainy days||0||0||0||0||0||9||14||11||7||3||1||0||49|
|Average relative humidity (%)||45||43||35||33||49||67||80||75||73||62||58||54||56|
|Source #1: India Meteorological Department (1952–2000)|
Vadodara places to visit
- Palaces- There are different palaces in Vadodara that you can plan to visitincluding Laxmi Vilas Palace, Makarpura Palace, Nazarbaug Palace and Pratap Vilas Palace. Out of these, Nazarbaug Palace has now been destroyed while the Pratap Vilas Palace has now been occupied by the Railway Staff College. Laxmi Vilas Palace is one of the most famous palaces here, as it was built by the Gaekwad family who is known to have ruled the state of Baroda. The palace has the largest dwelling, even bigger than Buckingham Palace and the premises of the palace is around 500 acres big. No doubt, it is worth visiting at least once.
- Temples- Vadodara has a number of temples including Pavagadh temple, Krishna Temple-Dakor, Lumbini Buddha Vihar-Harni, Siddhivinayak Temple, EME Temple (Dakshinamurty Temple) and others. Whether you are a follower of Krishna or Buddha, you will easily find a temple dedicated to the god that you believe in. All these temples are built in an old yet rich fashion that talks about the history of how the city was constructed.
- Museums and gardens- Vadodara has some of the interesting museums including Baroda Museum & Picture Gallery and Maharaja Fateh Singh Museum. Out of all, Maharaja Fateh Singh Museum is popular as it was earlier the school for king’s children. Today, you will see a lot of paintings and scriptures from the king’s time. It has a collection of paintings that are painted by then popular artist named Ravi Varma. Further, the scriptures are even in Japanese and Chinese, as these were brought by the king on his visit to the foreign nations. Furthermore, Baroda Museum & Picture Gallery has a collection of various arts, ethnography, sculptures and ethnology. You can also visit Ajwa & Nimeta garden, which is popular.
- Adventure and excursions- If you are planning any adventurous trip then you can definitely consider Vadodara, Gujarat. This city has a number of excursions such as Hathni Mata Waterfall, Sursagar Lake, Pavagadh, Jhand Hanuman, Kayavarohan, Dabhoi, Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park, Dediapada, Vadhavana Bird Sanctuary and others. These places will give you an opportunity to experience the richness of nature and its flora and fauna from close. If you are a nature lover then you will have the most memorable trip in Vadodara.
- Monuments and buildings- There are a number of different monuments and buildings in Vadodara that you can visit and explore. Some of the most popular ones include Khanderao Market, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Aurobindo Ashram, Kirti Mandir, Hazira Maqbara, Kirti Stambh, Mairal Ganpati Mandir, Kala Ghoda and others. All these are old structures that you will give you an insight into the rich culture and history of the land of kings and queens, Vadodara.
Vadodara hotels to stay
If you are thinking to spend your upcoming vacations in Vadodara then you can choose to stay in of the most luxurious hotels. Below listed are some of the majestic, spacious and luxurious hotels that will make your stay even more comfortable. Have a look at them as follows-
- Eastin Residences Vadodara
- Royal Orchid Central Akota
- Effotel by Sayaji Vadodara
- FabHotel Amber Sayajiganj
- Regenta Inn Hotel
- Ginger Hotel – Vadodara
- WelcomHotel Vadodara
- The Oasis Hotel
- Suba Elite Hotel
- Kalyan Hotel
Vadodara has some really good school options for your kids. Right from the nursery, elementary, primary to senior & secondary schools, you can find all of it in Vadodara. Listed below are some of the most popular schools in Vadodara.
- Mauryan High School
- Rudra School Of Science
- Ecampus Oneworld Junior School
- Himgiri School
- Shri Vidhya Mandir Vidhyalaya
- Global Public School
- Global Discovery Schools
- Yanshy High School
- Yagnik Education Group
- Navjeevan High School
If you are looking for colleges in Vadodara then also you have really good options here. Here is a list of some of the popular colleges in Vadodara that you can consider and get admission into.
- Gujarat Homeopathic Medical College, Vadodara
- Parul Institute Of Engineering & Technology, Vadodara
- Balaji College of Computer Application, Vadodara
- Shri M H Kadakia Institute of Management and Computer Studies, Vadodara
- Babaria Institute Of Pharmacy, Varnama
- Shri Natvarsinhji Arts & Science & Shri S G Patel Commerce College, Chhota Udepur
- Jayshankar Mahashnkar Pandya (Savliwala) Diploma Pharmacy College, Pipaliya
- M S Patel Institute of Management Studies, Vadodara
- Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT), Vadodara
- Baroda Homeopathic Medical College, Vadodara
Vadodara hospitals and medical centers
If you are in need of any type of health treatment and care then you can visit any of the below mentioned hospitals in Vadodara. However, these are just a few out of many and you can research about more on the internet.
- Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Hospital
- Krishna Surgical & Trauma Care Centre
- Global Meridian Hospital
- Welcare Multi Specialty Hospital
- Shree Vitthalesh Hospital
- Sneh Hospital
- Om Multi Specialty Hospital
- Swastik Hospital
- Centre For Sight Hospital
- Ashirwad Super Specialty Children Hospital
Thus, Vadodara is a place which can offer you a comfortable living and a peaceful stay. For those who are planning to shift here permanently can also avail a number of facilities or amenities right from shopping complexes, hospitals, restaurants and others. Without a doubt, staying in Vadodara will be absolutely worthwhile and you will not regret your decision ever. Have a happy living!
Get a Call Back Instantly
Experience the fastest and smartest way to get connected with pre-verified relocation experts. Get free moving quotes instantly from verified movers on services like packers & movers, car transport & warehousing.