Pune City Information
||411001 – 411062
Pune, also called ‘Poona’, is situated in the state of Maharashtra, India. It is also known as the ‘Queen of the Deccan’ and attained its high importance when it became the capital of Bhonsle Marathas in the 17th century. Being the second largest city of Maharashtra, Pune is known for its rich Maratha culture and well-established manufacturing. Dating back to its history, the city was ruled by Rashtrakutas and very popular, Shivaji was the one who built his empire from Pune.
The population of Pune is over 3.8 million and receives an annual rainfall of around 68 cm. Marathi, Hindi and English are the major languages spoken in this city while the popular religions are Hindu, Christians, Muslims, Sikhs, Sindhis and Parsis. The average temperature of Pune is around 15 degrees to 35 degrees and the best time to visit this place is from October to March.
Climate of Pune
When it comes to the climate of Pune, it is the most pleasant. It has hot and semi-arid climate, which makes it suitable for people to live in. Summer, monsoon and winter are the three seasons experienced by Pune and the maximum temperature here is 42 degrees. Though, it seems to be higher than but not as hot as Delhi, which is known to be the hottest. The monsoon in this city lasts from June to October, which is considered to be the most pleasant time of all the seasons. According to the India Meteorological Department, this area comes under Zone 3 and has experienced many low and moderate intensity of earthquakes.
Economy of Pune
Pune is considered to be the eighth largest metropolitan economy of India with key sectors including IT, manufacturing and education. It houses some of the internationally popular automobile companies like Mahindra & Mahindra, General Motors, Jaguar, Volkswagen, Kinetic Motors, Mercedes Benz, Renault and others. In addition to this, Pune has given way to new start-ups such as NASSCOM, which has today become highly popular. Even Pune Food Cluster Development Project has captivated attention of many and has helped small industries development bank of India.
While talking about the research institutes in Pune, there are many. It has both governmental and non-governmental research institutes that are dealing into various subjects ranging from science to humanity. The Ministry Of Defence here runs a number of projects in Pune and outside it. Some of the well-known research institutes comprises of Central Institute of Road Transport (CIRT), National Institute of Construction Management and Research (NICMAR), Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune (IISER, Pune), Tata Research Development and Design Centre (TRDDC), Armament Research Development Establishment (ARDE), Inter-university Centre for Astronomy & Astrophysics (IUCAA), Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute (BORI) and Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics to name a few.
Top 5 tourist attractions in Pune
- Sinhagad Fort- If you love adventure then this fort is the best place to visit. The fort is located on the Bhuleshwar range of Sahyadri hills, which makes it a perfect spot for trekking. The place will take you back to the times when during the Maratha Empire, the fort was an active military outpost. The scenic beauty of the hills, tranquility around and magnificent architecture of the fort is sure to leave you pleasantly surprised.
- Pataleshwar- This is o one of the oldest rock-cut temples, which was built in the eighth century. It is known that Rashtrakutas during their dynasty constructed this place and dedicated it to Lord Shiva. In the inner sanctum of the place, the ‘linga’ is situated and the outside is a big open place. Even today, the lord is anointed with yogurt and ghee, and the temple has a high footfall on the days of people’s fasting.
- Aga Khan Palace- This palace reflects the bygone era. Built in the year 1892, the palace has a finely built building with beautiful Italian arches, hallways and green lawns. It is known that Mahatma Gandhi with other freedom fighters were prisoned in this place. Also, it has a shop that sells khadi products and other handloom stuff.
- Shaniwar Wada- This place dates back its origin to the times when Peshwa Baji Rao I was in seat. When he won the Third Anglo Maratha War, he built this beautiful architecture, which is now considered to be the finest tourist places in Pune. However, the fort got ruined by fire in the year 1823 but still features fountains, giant gates and other attractions.
- Chaturshringi Temple- This very popular Hindu temple is situated on the Senapati Bapat Road and is 90 feet high. The temple has 100 steps and possesses the idol of Ashtavinayak and the Goddess Chaturshringi. The goddess is known as reigning goddess of Pune. Hence, the temple has its high significance among the locals.
Top 5 software companies in Pune
- Cybage Software Private Limited- This Company was incepted in the year 1995 and provides all the major services related to the IT industry. However, it is mainly popular for providing software application development and maintenance services. The company has its development centers in Pune, Hyderabad and in the region of Gandhinagar.
- Amdocs Development Center India Private Limited- Amdocs is a multinational corporation that has set a landmark in the IT world by offering media & financial services and other software services. Also, it provides big data analytics services, open network solutions, entertainment solutions and business support systems.
- Tech Mahindra Limited- The very popular company provides IT consultancy services and other services of the same field. It was founded in the year 1986 and since then, there has been no turning back for the company. Tech Mahindra in Pune provides networking technology solutions, business process outsourcing, and other services.
- BMC Software India Private Limited- Incepted in 1980, the company is originally headquartered in Houston, Texas. It provides a wide range of products and services including mainframe computing, business service management, enterprise software, IT operations, and other IT management services.
- Virtusa India Private Limited- Headquartered in Massachusetts, this company was founded in the year 1996 and is known for offering the finest product development, business consulting, IT consulting, application development, legacy asset management and other services. Also, the company is offering its services to various parts of the world including Sri Lanka, Hungary, US, UK, India and Singapore.
Popular hotels in Pune
- Conrad Pune by Hilton- This is one of those hotel which is highly popular due to its location and exceptional services. The entire hotel is situated in the area of 20,000 square feet, which makes it the perfect place to hold meetings and conduct business conferences. Situated in the business center, this hotel has facility of wired internet facility, express check-in and executive & deluxe rooms. You can get a shuttle from the airport to this hotel and if you are going from your own car then you can avail the valet parking.
- Sheraton Grand Pune Bund Garden Hotel- This hotel is designed with a traditional yet contemporary touch. Also, it hosts a number of artistic events such as musical festival, Ganesha festival and others to keep the visitors and customers engaged. The architecture of the hotel is magnificent and it would be a lifetime experience to visit this place.
- Radisson Blu Hotel Pune Kharadi- Radisson Blu is just 10 minutes away from Phoenix Market City and Inorbit mall. It offers various facilities including wired internet access round the clock, meeting rooms, conference centers and all the amenities that are necessary for both a personal or official stay. One can opt for a roundtrip to the hotel from the airport.
- The Westin Pune Koregaon Park- The ratings of this hotel is good, as it offers the most lavish stay to its guests. The major highlights of this hotel are in-room spa, well-equipped gym, restaurant and bar. To be precise, it has everything that is required to make your stay ever more comfortable. It possesses more than 250 stylish guest rooms and club to keep the guests entertained.
- JW Marriott Hotel Pune- This is another hotel that has become highly popular among the people across India and abroad. It is simply because it offers 24-hour business center, conference halls, meeting rooms, spa, swimming pool, executive and deluxe rooms and others. Whether you are looking forward to plan a family function or a business event, you can approach JW Marriott with no doubts.
Transportation in Pune
Pune is well-connected with the public transport including Pune Suburban Railway, autos, rickshaws and buses. Also, the facility of Ola and Uber is available throughout the city. Pune metro is under construction and the metro project is expected to be accomplished by the year 2021. Once it is complete, the locals of the city will have a better transport facility. One can reach Pune by air from any state of the country.
Pune is a city with the highest footfall due to its career opportunities, weather and academic options. If you are planning to move to Pune then all you need to do is to hunt for a professional Packers and Movers in Pune and shift with no hassles. Happy moving!