Pune City Information
Pune, also called ‘Poona’, is situated in the state of Maharashtra, India. It is also known as the ‘Queen of the Deccan’ and attained its high importance when it became the capital of Bhonsle Marathas in the 17th century. Being the second largest city of Maharashtra, Pune is known for its rich Maratha culture and well-established manufacturing. Dating back to its history, the city was ruled by Rashtrakutas and very popular, Shivaji was the one who built his empire from Pune.
The population of Pune is over 3.8 million and receives an annual rainfall of around 68 cm. Marathi, Hindi and English are the major languages spoken in this city while the popular religions are Hindu, Christians, Muslims, Sikhs, Sindhis and Parsis. The average temperature of Pune is around 15 degrees to 35 degrees and the best time to visit this place is from October to March.
Climate of Pune
When it comes to the climate of Pune, it is the most pleasant. It has hot and semi-arid climate, which makes it suitable for people to live in.
Summer, monsoon and winter are the three seasons experienced by Pune and the maximum temperature here is 42 degrees. Though, it seems to be higher than but not as hot as Delhi, which is known to be the hottest.
The monsoon in this city lasts from June to October, which is considered to be the most pleasant time of all the seasons. According to the India Meteorological Department, this area comes under Zone 3 and has experienced many low and moderate intensity of earthquakes.
|Pune City||331.26 km2|
|PIN Code||411001 – 411062|
Economy of Pune
Pune is considered to be the eighth largest metropolitan economy of India. It has the sixth highest per capita income in the country. There are different sectors including Information Technology, Manufacturing and Education that play an important role in boosting the local economy of Pune city.
Pune, India’s Motor City, is home to some of the internationally automobile companies. Bajaj Auto, General Motors, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, and Force Motors have set up their Greenfield facilities near Pune, Maharashtra.
In addition to this, Pune has given way to new start-ups such as NASSCOM, which has today become highly popular. Even Pune Food Cluster Development Project has captivated attention of many and has helped small industries development bank of India.
Education sector is also one of the main factors in boosting local economy of Pune. There are so many renowned educational institutions and research city in and around the city.
In addition, Information Technology (IT) sector in Pune has emerge largely. Playing a vital role in Pune’s economy, IT industry is appealing skilled professionals from all around the world. The city is home to several renowned IT firms such as Infosys, TCS, and Capgemini, IBM, Rockwell Automation, Tech Mahindra, etc.
Education System in Pune
The cultural capital of India, Pune is often described as the “Oxford of the East” due to the presence of several prestigious educational institutions and research centers. The city has become a major education hub in the country.
Prestigious research institutions of information technology, management, education and training are key factors that attract students and professionals from all around the world. Nearly half of the total international students in the country studying in Pune. In addition, there are several colleges in Pune that have student exchange programs with colleges in Europe.
List of Universities in Pune
- Bharati Vidyapeeth (Deemed University)
- Savitribai Phule Pune University (State University)
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune (Deemed University)
- Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (Deemed University)
- MIT - World Peace University (Private University)
- National Defence Academy (Deemed University)
- Symbiosis International University (Private University)
- Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics (Deemed University)
- Vishwakarma University (Private University)
- Deccan College Post-Graduate and Research Institute (Deemed University)
- Ajeenkya DY Patil University (Private University)
- Dnyaneshwar Vidyapeeth (Deemed University)
- Spicer Adventist University (Private University)
- National Institute of Construction Management and Research (Deemed University)
- Tilak Maharashtra University (Deemed University)
- Flame University (Private University)
List of Engineering and Technology Colleges and Institutions in Pune
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Pune (Central Government)
- Government College of Engineering and Research, Avasari Khurd (State Government)
- College of Engineering Pune (State Government)
- MKSSS's Cummins College of Engineering for Women (Autonomous)
- Vishwakarma Institute of Technology (Autonomous)
- G. H. Raisoni College of Engineering and Management (Autonomous)
- Vishwakarma Institute of Information Technology (Autonomous)
- Maharashtra Academy of Engineering (Autonomous)
- Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering & Information Technology
- Pune Vidhyarthi Griha's College of Engineering and Technology
- Sinhgad Institute of Technology and Science
- Sinhgad College of Engineering
- Modern Education Society's College of Engineering, Pune
- Suman Ramesh Tulsiani Technical Campus - Faculty of Engineering
- Jayawantrao Sawant College of Engineering
- PES Modern College of Engineering, Pune
- Pune Institute of Computer Technology
- Smt. Kashibai Navale College of Engineering
- Sinhgad Academy of Engineering
- Cusrow Wadia Institute of Technology
- AISSMS College of Engineering
- ISB&M School of Technology
- Army Institute of Technology, Pune
- College of Military Engineering, Pune
- MIT College of Engineering
- Jayawantrao Sawant Polytechnic
- Maharashtra Institute of Technology
- International Institute of Information Technology, Pune
- Dhole Patil College of Engineering
List of Business Schools and Management Colleges in Pune
- Balaji Institute of Modern Management Pune
- Vishwakarma Institute of Management
- G. H. Raisoni College of Engineering and Management
- Department of Management Sciences (PUMBA)
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies
- Balaji Institute of Telecom and Management Pune
- Pune Institute of Business Management
- Institute of Management Development and Research
- National Institute of Bank Management
- National Insurance Academy
- MIT School of Business
List of Pharmacy and Medical Colleges in Pune
There are two renowned medical colleges in Pune. Their names are:
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC)
- College of Pharmacy (Pune)
- B. J. Medical College
- AISSMS College of Pharmacy
- Sinhgad College of Pharmacy
List of General Colleges in Pune (Arts, Science & Commerce)
- Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce
- Film and Television Institute of India
- Mahindra United World College of India
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research
- National School of Leadership
- Ness Wadia College of Commerce
- Symbiosis Law School
- Symbiosis School of Economics
- St. Mira's College for Girls
- MIT Institute of Design
- Dnyaneshwar Vidyapeeth
- Sri Shahu Mandir Mahavidyalaya
- ILS Law College
- Nowrosjee Wadia College
- Sir Parshurambhau College
List of Research Institutes in Pune
Pune is home to several renowned research institutions. Popular ones are:
- Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics
- National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA)
- Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC)
- National Chemical Laboratory (NCL)
- National Institute of Virology (NIV)
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune
- National Centre for Cell Science (NCCS)
- Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM)
- Agharkar Research Institute
- Central Institute of Road Transport (CIRT)
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- National Institute of Construction Management and Research (NICMAR)
- Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute (BORI)
- Tata Research Development and Design Centre (TRDDC)
- Central Water and Power Research Station (CW&PRS)
- Armament Research Development Establishment (ARDE)
- High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL)
- Army Institute of Technology (AIT)
- National Informatics Centre (NIC)
- National School of Leadership (NSL)
- Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI)
- National Insurance Academy (NIA)
- National Institute of Bank Management (NIBM)
- Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT)
- National Defence Academy (NDA)
- Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics
- Inter-university Centre for Astronomy & Astrophysics (IUCAA)
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune (IISER, Pune)
List of Schools in Pune, Maharashtra
There are so many schools in Pune to choose from and consider to pick the right one. Here is the list of some of the top schools located in and around the city.
- Mercedes-Benz International School
- Indus International School
- Ryan International School, Bavdhan
- Sharad Pawar International School
- Symbiosis International School
- Hutchings High School
- Loyola High School
- J. N. Petit Technical High School
- Modern High School & College
- St. Vincent's High School, Jesuit
- Vibgyor High School, Balewadi, Magarpatta, NIBM Road and Yerwada
- Jai Hind High School and Junior College
- Anglo Urdu Boys' High School
- Agrasen High School
- Army Public School
- Delhi Public School
- DAV Public School
- Victorious Kidss Educares
- Wisdom World School
- Abhinava Vidyalaya
- The Orbis School
- Panditrao Agashe School
- AW Sindhu Vidya Bhavan
- The Bishop's School
- Nagarvala Day School
- Nutan Marathi Vidyalaya
- Spicer Memorial College Higher Secondary School
- Jnana Prabodhini
- Wisdom World School
- Vidya Niketan English Medium School
- Don Bosco School
- St. Anne's School
- St. Mary's School
- D.S.K. School
- Mount Carmel Convent School
- Huzurpaga Girls High School
- Kendriya Vidyalaya
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Ganeshkhind
- Pawar Public School
- PMC Vidya Niketan School
- Jnana Prabodhini Prashala
- Sanskriti School
- Shanti Sadan School, Lonavla
- Hindustan Antibiotics School
- C. M. S. English Medium High School
- Global Indian International School
- Shri Shivaji Preparatory Military School
- Stella Maris English School
- St Jude High School (Pune)
- St. Thomas' School
Top 5 Tourist Attractions in Pune
If you love adventure then this fort is the best place to visit. The fort is located on the Bhuleshwar range of Sahyadri hills, which makes it a perfect spot for trekking. The place will take you back to the times when during the Maratha Empire, the fort was an active military outpost. The scenic beauty of the hills, tranquility around and magnificent architecture of the fort is sure to leave you pleasantly surprised.
This is o one of the oldest rock-cut temples, which was built in the eighth century. It is known that Rashtrakutas during their dynasty constructed this place and dedicated it to Lord Shiva. In the inner sanctum of the place, the ‘linga’ is situated and the outside is a big open place. Even today, the lord is anointed with yogurt and ghee, and the temple has a high footfall on the days of people’s fasting.
Aga Khan Palace
This palace reflects the bygone era. Built in the year 1892, the palace has a finely built building with beautiful Italian arches, hallways and green lawns. It is known that Mahatma Gandhi with other freedom fighters were prisoned in this place. Also, it has a shop that sells khadi products and other handloom stuff.
This place dates back its origin to the times when Peshwa Baji Rao I was in seat. When he won the Third Anglo Maratha War, he built this beautiful architecture, which is now considered to be the finest tourist places in Pune. However, the fort got ruined by fire in the year 1823 but still features fountains, giant gates and other attractions.
This very popular Hindu temple is situated on the Senapati Bapat Road and is 90 feet high. The temple has 100 steps and possesses the idol of Ashtavinayak and the Goddess Chaturshringi. The goddess is known as reigning goddess of Pune. Hence, the temple has its high significance among the locals.
List of Top 5 Software and IT Companies in Pune
Cybage Software Private Limited
This Company was incepted in the year 1995 and provides all the major services related to the IT industry. However, it is mainly popular for providing software application development and maintenance services. The company has its development centers in Pune, Hyderabad and in the region of Gandhinagar.
Amdocs Development Center India Private Limited
Amdocs is a multinational corporation that has set a landmark in the IT world by offering media & financial services and other software services. Also, it provides big data analytics services, open network solutions, entertainment solutions and business support systems.
Tech Mahindra Limited
The very popular company provides IT consultancy services and other services of the same field. It was founded in the year 1986 and since then, there has been no turning back for the company. Tech Mahindra in Pune provides networking technology solutions, business process outsourcing, and other services.
BMC Software India Private Limited
Incepted in 1980, the company is originally headquartered in Houston, Texas. It provides a wide range of products and services including mainframe computing, business service management, enterprise software, IT operations, and other IT management services.
Virtusa India Private Limited
Headquartered in Massachusetts, this company was founded in the year 1996 and is known for offering the finest product development, business consulting, IT consulting, application development, legacy asset management and other services. Also, the company is offering its services to various parts of the world including Sri Lanka, Hungary, US, UK, India and Singapore.
Popular Hotels in Pune
Conrad Pune by Hilton
This is one of those hotel which is highly popular due to its location and exceptional services. The entire hotel is situated in the area of 20,000 square feet, which makes it the perfect place to hold meetings and conduct business conferences. Situated in the business center, this hotel has facility of wired internet facility, express check-in and executive & deluxe rooms. You can get a shuttle from the airport to this hotel and if you are going from your own car then you can avail the valet parking.
Sheraton Grand Pune Bund Garden Hotel
This hotel is designed with a traditional yet contemporary touch. Also, it hosts a number of artistic events such as musical festival, Ganesha festival and others to keep the visitors and customers engaged. The architecture of the hotel is magnificent and it would be a lifetime experience to visit this place.
Radisson Blu Hotel Pune Kharadi
Radisson Blu is just 10 minutes away from Phoenix Market City and Inorbit mall. It offers various facilities including wired internet access round the clock, meeting rooms, conference centers and all the amenities that are necessary for both a personal or official stay. One can opt for a roundtrip to the hotel from the airport.
The Westin Pune Koregaon Park
The ratings of this hotel is good, as it offers the most lavish stay to its guests. The major highlights of this hotel are in-room spa, well-equipped gym, restaurant and bar. To be precise, it has everything that is required to make your stay ever more comfortable. It possesses more than 250 stylish guest rooms and club to keep the guests entertained.
JW Marriott Hotel Pune
This is another hotel that has become highly popular among the people across India and abroad. It is simply because it offers 24-hour business center, conference halls, meeting rooms, spa, swimming pool, executive and deluxe rooms and others. Whether you are looking forward to plan a family function or a business event, you can approach JW Marriott with no doubts.
Transportation in Pune
Pune is well-connected with the public transport including Pune Suburban Railway, autos, rickshaws and buses. Also, the facility of Ola and Uber is available throughout the city.
Pune metro is under construction and the metro project is expected to be accomplished by the year 2021. Once it is complete, the locals of the city will have a better transport facility. One can reach Pune by air from any state of the country.
Pune is a city with the highest footfall due to its career opportunities, weather and academic options. If you are planning to move to Pune then all you need to do is to hunt for a professional Packers and Movers in Pune and shift with no hassles. Happy moving!
To book packers and movers in Pune - Call us at 1800 11 6878
Get a Call Back Instantly
Experience the fastest and smartest way to get connected with pre-verified relocation experts. Get free moving quotes instantly from verified movers on services like packers & movers, car transport & warehousing.