Chandigarh City Information
Chandigarh is a city and a union territory in India. It serves as the capital of the two neighboring states - Punjab and Haryana. The city is neither the part of Punjab nor the part of Haryana. It is independent and directly administrated by the Union Government that also governs other such union territories in the country.
Popularly known as the City Beautiful, Chandigarh is surrounded by Punjab to the north, south and west, and by Haryana to the east. Chandigarh is also a part of Chandigarh Capital Region also known as Greater Chandigarh.
Chandigarh Capital Region includes:
- Chandigarh City
- Mohali (Punjab)
- Panchkula (Haryana)
- Zirakpur (Punjab)
- Kharar (Punjab)
- Kurali (Punjab)
Located near the foothills of the Shivalik range of the Himalayas in northwest India, the beautiful city of Chandigarh is a well-planned city, sharing its borders with the states of Punjab and Haryana. It is divided into various sectors with clean avenues. It was the dream city of India’s first Prime Minister, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. The city is known for having one of the highest per capita incomes in the country. It is also considered as one of the cleanest cities in the country. Plus, it has been a strong desire of many people who want to live in a beautiful city with excellent infrastructure facilities. Moreover, the city also offers tons of job opportunities in various sectors and domains.
Chandigarh Climate and Temperature
The City Beautiful, Chandigarh has a humid subtropical climate. The city observes very hot summers, mild winters and unreliable monsoon. You can experience a great variation in Chandigarh temperature ranging from (−1 °C to 46 °C OR 30.2 °F to 114 °F.
Major seasons in the city include:
- Spring (February-end to early-April): During this season, Chandigarh temperatures vary between 13 °C to 20 °C and (min) 5 °C to 12 °C.
- Autumn (September-end to mid-November): During this autumn in Chandigarh, the temperatures generally vary between 10° to 22°.
- Summer (mid-April to June-end): In summer, Chandigarh temperature may rise to 44 °C. Temperatures generally vary between 40 and 42 °C.
- Monsoon (early-July to mid-September): The city receives moderate to heavy rainfall. The maximum rain received by Chandigarh during rainy season is 195.5 mm in a single day.
- Winter (November-end to February-end): Average temperatures in the winter remain at (max) 5 °C to 14 °C and (min) -1 °C to 5 °C.
Education in Chandigarh
Chandigarh has become a major education hub in India. It is home to several educational institutions ranging from privately and publicly operated schools to colleges and universities. Chandigarh Administration’s Department of Education reports that there are a total of 115 government schools in the city.
List of Universities in Chandigarh
- Panjab University, Punjab State University
- Punjab Engineering College, Deemed University
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Deemed Universities
List of Colleges in Chandigarh, City Beautiful
- Chandigarh College of Engineering and Technology
- Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College
- Chandigarh College of Architecture
- Government College of Art
- Government College of Commerce and Business Administration
- Indo Global Colleges
- Government Medical College and Hospital
- Government College of Yoga Education and Health
- Indo-Swiss Training Centre
- Post Graduate Government College – 11
- Post Graduate Government College – 46
- Alliance Française de Chandigarh
- Government College of Education
- Government College for Girls
- Brahmrishi Yoga Training College
- Government Home Science College
- Government Rehabilitation Institute for Intellectual Disabilities
- Dev Samaj College of Education
- DAV College
- Dev Samaj College for Women
- Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition
- Dr. Harvansh Singh Judge Institute of Dental Sciences & Hospital
- Guru Gobind Singh College for Women
- Homeopathic Medical College & Hospital
- Post Graduate Government College for Girls
- Regional Institute of English
- Mehr Chand Mahajan DAV College for Women
- National Institute of Technical Teachers Training & Research
- Institute for the Blind
- Institute of Microbial Technology
- Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College & Hospital
- UEI Global
- University Institute of Engineering & Technology
List of Top Schools in Chandigarh
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, JNV Chandigarh
- Government Model Senior Secondary School, Sector 16
- St. Xavier's Senior Secondary School
- St. Anne's Convent School
- Carmel Convent School
- St. Stephen's School
- St. Kabir Public School
- Bhavan Vidyalaya, Chandigarh
- St. John's High School, Chandigarh
List of Famous Shopping Malls in Chandigarh
Chandigarh is home to several shopping malls, providing lots to shopping enthusiasts. Some of popular shopping malls in the city are:
- Elante Mall - Industrial Area, Phase 1, Chandigarh
- Paras Downtown Square Mall, Zirakpur
- DLF City Center Mall - (DT Mall), Rajiv Gandhi IT Park, Chandigarh
- TDI Mall, Sector 17, Chandigarh
- Piccadilly Square Mall, Sector 34, Chandigarh
- City Emporium Mall, Industrial Area, Phase 1, Chandigarh
- Centra Mall, Industrial Area, Phase 1, Chandigarh
- Shalimar Mall, Panchkula
- North Country Mall, Mohali (Kharar)
- Bestech Square Mall, Sector 66
Chandigarh Places to Visit and Tourist Attractions
There are numerous Chandigarh places to visit. You will find a number of tourist attractions and interesting places to see in and around the city. One of the major attractions of the city is Capitol Complex, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Inside the complex, there are many beautiful buildings such as the Punjab and Haryana Secretariat, Punjab and Haryana High Court, and Punjab and Haryana Assembly. The complex also houses several monuments such as the Rock Garden, Tower of Shadow, Open Hand, Geometric Hill, and Martyrs Memorial.
Places of tourist attractions in Chandigarh include:
- Open Hand Monument
- Rock Garden (Nek Chand's Rock Garden) - completely built of industrial and home waste and discarded items
- Zakir Hussain Rose Garden, a botanical garden, spread over 30 acres, with 50,000 rose-bushes of 1600 different species
- Government Museum & Art Gallery
- Musical Fountain, Sector 17, Chandigarh
- Le Corbusier Centre, Sector 19
- Valley of Animals, Sector 49
- Garden of Silence, a meditative space at the end of Sukhna Lake
- Garden of Springs, a garden cum park, Sector 53
- Japanese Garden, a park located in Sector 31
- Tagore Theatre, a center for cultural performances, Sector 18
- Gandhi Bhawan, Chandigarh
- Sukhna Wildlife Sanctuary
Sports venues in Chandigarh
- Chandigarh Hockey Stadium
- Tau Devi Lal Cricket Stadium
- Mullanpur International Cricket Stadium
- Chandigarh Golf Club
- Sector 16 Cricket Stadium
Transport in Chandigarh
Chandigarh is well-connected through air, road and rail. Chandigarh Airport has scheduled commercial flights to major cities of India. Chandigarh Junction railway station provides connectivity to most of the regions of India.
Get a Call Back Instantly
Experience the fastest and smartest way to get connected with pre-verified relocation experts. Get free moving quotes instantly from verified movers on services like packers & movers, car transport & warehousing.