Common Moving Injuries: In this article, you will know about the 7 common moving injuries. Also, you will learn some tips on how to avoid common moving injuries.
Most Advanced Packers and Movers Cost Calculator
Never end up with surprise relocation bills. Use this calculator to estimate shifting charges now!
We all know that moving from one place to another is not a fun chore. It is more difficult and challenging when you do not have professional moving help. There are many ins and outs in the shifting process that you will encounter. You will need to take into consideration many details while handling the shifting process on your own. You will need time to accomplish the shifting tasks on time. Not only that but you will also need to practice several physical activities such as twisting, bending, pulling, lifting, and sliding.
Because of the amount of preparation that must go into the shifting process, you may not have enough time to accomplish the entire shifting task on your own. You are likely to rush towards completing the shifting tasks as soon as possible. When attempting to speed up the shifting process, you can commit mistakes and forget to take the proper safety precautions. This can lead to painful physical injuries such as back injuries, ankle injuries, neck & shoulder injuries, broken bones, and muscle injuries.
Yes, physical injuries during the moving process are more common than you might think. Fortunately, there are some ways that will help you avoid these painful injuries. Here we have put together a list of 7 common moving injuries and how to avoid them.
Types of Moving Injuries and How to Avoid Them
A DIY move can be an arduous job, leading to several physical injuries to yourself and others. The most common moving injuries are muscle strains, cuts & scrapes, back pain, fractures, and dislocated joints. Here are the top 7 ones.
1. Back Injuries
You know well that your back is one of the most important parts of your body. You use this part for a variety of everyday activities. When packing household items and handling bulky items like furniture and home appliances, you will need to bend and lift objects that will put stress on your back. Because bending and heavy lifting work, you could suffer a strain or sprain to the lower back. That’s not all, you could also experience grievous harm to your back such as torn muscle or herniated disk. And this can be torturous and many need surgery.
Tips to avoid a back injury during a move
- Lift your object or box the right way to minimize the strain on your back.
- Use the right moving equipment such as dollies, trolleys, and straps to ease the process.
- Don’t pack a heavy box. Use smaller boxes to pack heavier items.
- Keep the weight of a box that you can lift easily.
- Know your limit and do not try to lift a heavy item.
- Ask a friend to get help when you need to slide or lift a heavy object.
2. Broken Bones (Hands, Fingers, or Toes)
Moving is a difficult process involving heavy lifting tasks. Due to improper handling, you may drop heavy boxes or objects on the parts of your body. As a result, you can experience physical injuries and fractures. Broken hands, fingers, and toes are the most common fractures in the shifting process.
Tips to avoid during a move
- Wear thick gloves and closed-toe shoes with a good grip.
- Clear the walking path on the day of your move.
- Do not overload boxes.
- Reinforce the bottoms of the boxes with heavy-duty packaging tapes.
- Communicate with other people near you.
3. Neck and Shoulder Injuries
Due to heavy lifting, you can also experience neck and shoulder injuries in your DIY move. Muscle sprain, several spinal injuries, pinched nerves, dislocation, torn nerves, and collarbone breaks are the most common neck and shoulder injuries during the shifting process.
Tips to avoid neck and shoulder injuries on moving day
- Use the appropriate safety precautions to prevent falls.
- Use the appropriate moving equipment to minimize neck and shoulder strain.
- Don’t attempt to complete the tasks in a rush. Take frequent breaks.
4. Cuts and Scrapes
If you are packing your belongings yourself for the move, you will need scissors, knives, and box cutters. These sharp objects can cause cuts and scrapes. Sharp edges of boxes, tools, kitchen items, and glassware can also cause cuts and scrapes.
Tips to avoid common cuts and scrapes during the moving process
- Wear multi-layered clothing.
- Cover up as much of your skin as possible.
- Wear jeans rather than normal paint.
- Keep some bandages and antiseptic in place.
- Do your job patiently.
5. Knee and Ankle Injuries
Knee and ankle injuries are the most common moving injuries you may encounter. The knees and ankles are vulnerable joints in your body that can easily be injured because of heavy lifting, bending, and sudden twisting.
The knees are the top joints in your body that do the most work. If you put more stress and exertion, you may get sprains, breaks, dislocations, and meniscus tears. That’s not all. You can also get some serious knee injuries and may need surgery.
Another top concern when handling the moving process is ankle injury. While dragging or pulling heavy objects like furniture and appliances, you can easily make a mistake with your footing. As a result, you can suffer from sprained and injuries ankles.
Tips to avoid knee and ankle injuries during the move
- Don’t try to become a superman. Know your limits. Use team-lifting methods.
- Lift the heavy objects the proper way.
- Use the right tools and equipment to lift and slide heavy objects.
- Don’t hurry. Take breaks and proper rest.
- Do not overpack a box.
- Keep the weight of the box that you can easily lift.
- Wear protective gear such as sturdy shoes, knee-pads, and braces.
- Clear the walking path and remove the obstacles.
6. Muscle Injuries
You can experience several types of muscle injuries during the moving process. Cramps, strains, tears, and contusions are the most common muscle injuries that you can face during the handling of the process of a DIY move.
You can easily experience muscle strains during the move if you overstretch or overuse your muscle. This can lead to soreness, stiffness, swelling, weakness, and spasms in your muscle. These types of strains are common to happen to the neck, shoulders, and lower back.
Muscle tears can also happen due to improper practice of handling the moving process. Torn muscle fibers and damaged blood vessels can be an earnest concern. These injuries are likely to happen to the neck, shoulders, legs, and lower back. Muscle cramps and muscle contusions are also likely to happen if you do not keep yourself alert when moving.
Tips to avoid muscle injuries during the DIY moving process
- Practice stretching exercises beforehand to keep your muscle flexible.
- Consume lots of fluid like juice and water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Take rest and breaks. This will give the proper rest to your muscle and other parts of your body.
- Use the appropriate moving tools and equipment.
There are many cases of moving in which people have hernias. If you are new to this word, then know what hernia is. A hernia is a bulging of an organ or tissue through an abnormal opening. This can happen due to a combination of pressure and an opening or weakness of muscle within the abdominal wall. Therefore, you must handle your move with the utmost care and have the proper rest.
Tips to avoid hernias during the move
- Do not overweight boxes.
- Keep boxes as light as you can lift.
- Ask for help from family and friends.
- Do not attempt to lift or slide furniture or appliances alone.
- Use the team-lifting method.
- Use the right moving tools and equipment.
Best Methods to Avoid Common Moving Injuries
The best way to avoid common moving injuries is to get professional moving help. Hiring professional packers and movers and allowing them to handle your move is indeed the best decision. If you employ the best and most experienced team of packers and movers, you will not have to engage yourself in heavy lifting, pulling, and doing any sort of shifting task.
Movers will take care of all your relocation requirements and handle your move efficiently. They will save you time and effort, and also prevent you from possible moving injuries. To get professional moving help, consider Moving Solutions and request free moving estimates. You can also use the packers and movers cost calculator to estimate the shifting charges in advance.
I am a passionate content marketer, business writer, blogger, content editor, and information junkie with a penchant for reading & writing. I have been working with writing challenged clients for over 15 years.