Most Advanced Packers and Movers Cost Calculator
Never end up with surprise relocation bills. Use this calculator to estimate shifting charges now!
Are you moving to a new home? You might wonder about some tips for packing clothes for moving. First, you need to understand that the process of moving from one place to another is overwhelming.
There are many challenges in this process that can make you stressed. Packing clothes for moving can be even more daunting than getting the furniture ready for a move. For this reason, most people leave this task till the very last minute.
Folding clothes and throwing them in suitcases and boxes in a hurry is what you will end up in a mess once the moving date comes. This is not the right way. You should consider packing clothes for moving early to avoid the last-minute rush.
Finding the best way to pack clothes for moving is crucial. In this article, I am going to share some useful tips on how to pack clothes for moving efficiently.
Things to Do Before Packing Your Clothing
Packing for moving from one home to another is a complicated and time-consuming process. To streamline the packing process, you need to have the best plan of action. Without good preparation, you will end up with an epic disaster for moving day. Here are a few tips that will teach you some tips on how to pack clothes for moving.
Decide What Clothes to Keep
You may have a plethora of clothes. Moving them all is not a good idea at all. It is better to get rid of clothes that you no longer need. Take everything out of your wardrobe and start dividing them into piles — keep, donate, and sell.
Decide what you want to keep. Keep only the things that you used in the last year. Make sure the garments you want to pack still fit and are in good condition. Also, keep those attires that hold sentimental value to you.
Get rid of the clothing pieces that do not fit and are not in good condition. Donate gently used garments and clothing pieces that do not fall within the keep category. Besides, you can use this opportunity to sell your old clothes that are well-kept, but you are no longer using them.
Hold a garage sale or use online marketplaces to sell your unwanted stuff. This will help you earn some extra cash and minimize the overall moving cost.
Sort Clothes for Moving
Once you have decided which clothes to keep for moving, it is time to sort them. Be sensible in sorting your clothing stuff. Remember that not all clothes are of equal importance. Therefore, sorting is imperative. Start classifying clothes by material, season, pieces, and person.
One of the most effective ways to organize clothing for moving is by season. This will give you an idea of what items you need to pack first. You would always like to pack off-season clothes first.
Another important method to sort clothes for packing and moving is to sort them by pieces. You can consider packing pants together, shirts together, t-shirts together, etc. This method will help you organize the closet better after moving to the new house. In addition, you can also consider packing clothes separately for every family member.
Make sure to sort each closet individually. Ensure that you have labeled each box and bag with the appropriate tags. Proper labeling will make the unpacking process a lot easier for everyone.
Gather the Right Clothing Packing Supplies
You have crossed the first step towards packing clothes for moving. You have purged all unwanted clothing stuff and sorted everything for the move. Now that you have everything necessary for moving.
Now it is time to think about how to pack your clothes efficiently. Also, you need to think about the packing supplies and boxes you will need to pack your clothes. There are different packing supplies and boxes that can be used for packing clothes for a move.
The need for packing supplies will vary depending on the type of clothing you want to move. Here are some recommended packing supplies and boxes to consider.
- Cardboard boxes: When it comes to packing folded clothing, it is an excellent choice for using cardboard boxes.
- Wardrobe boxes: These are especially built corrugated boxes for packing clothes on hangers. Using these wardrobe boxes will make the unpacking process faster and easier. The only thing you need to consider is that these boxes are expensive.
- Suitcases and travel bags: You can use your suitcases and travel bags to pack folded clothes and shoes. These are excellent replacements for expensive cardboard boxes.
- Vacuum bags: Using vacuum bags is an excellent method to pack bulky clothing items such as jackets and winter coats. This will save you space in packing.
Right Methods to Pack Non-Hanging Clothes
Packing your non-hanging clothes for moving is the most labor-intensive and time-consuming process. You will need to fold anything that cannot be moved on a hanger inside a suitcase or wardrobe box.
The best method to pack non-hanging clothes (folded clothes) for moving is to leave them inside the closet and tape the drawers. Using the closet to move your folded clothes will save you money and more moving boxes.
It is crucial to know the right method to fold your clothes for packing. If you know the right method, it will make the entire packing process faster and easier. This will also save you space and minimize the amount of packing supplies you will need to pack and move your things.
Needless to say, it will also make unpacking easier in your new house. These are some wonderful techniques to fold and roll clothes for packing and moving. You can try the following ways:
- Flat Fold Method: This is the best method for bulky items, such as jeans, jackets, and sweaters. By using this folding method, keep your clothes in cardboard boxes or vacuum bags.
- Military Roll Method: If you have clothes to pack into your suitcases and duffle bags, then use the military roll method. This method is the best choice for packing small or delicate clothing pieces like shirts and outfits.
Right Methods to Pack Hanging Clothes
It would be a tricky task to pack and move your hanging clothes. It is likely that your closet has some hanging clothes such as dresses, blouses, uniforms, dress pants, shirts, etc.
If you intend to move your hanging clothing in a wrinkle-free way, then try to use the right methods to transport them in hangers as much as possible. Luckily, there are certain ways that can help you accomplish your goal.
- Wardrobe boxes: Wardrobe boxes are expensive, but they can be the best for packing and transporting clothes on hangers. These boxes are specifically constructed for the transporting of hanging clothes from one place to another. If your budget allows, then use a wardrobe box to pack and move your garments and attires in hangers.
- Large trash bags: If you are limited to a budget, then use drawstring trash bags to move your hanging clothes. Slip your hanging clothes into a large trash bag with drawstrings. Then secure the hangers by tying the drawstrings to the hanger hooks. Alternatively, you can cut a small opening at the bottom of your trash bag, place the hanger hooks through it, and then secure them with a rubber band or a string.
- Garment bags: You probably have some delicate clothing pieces. One of the best methods to protect delicate pieces of clothing is using garment bags. This method will protect your garments from being dirty and damaged during transport. If you don’t have garment bags, then you can find them online or at your local dry-cleaning shop.
Right Methods to Pack Shoes for Moving
Many people use their duffle bags to put all their shoes and transport. You may also be tempted to do this. Sometimes this method cannot give you the right solution for packing and moving your shoes. Your shoes can easily lose their shape or be damaged during transportation.
Hence, it is worth taking the time to prepare your shoes for packing and moving. A bit of prep work on how to pack shoes correctly will save you a lot of time, headache, and hassle down the line.
For best results, pack your shoes, by stuffing them with socks, packing papers, or washcloths. This will keep your shoes in their original shape. Wrap each piece of shoes with packing paper to protect them from scratching or damage. You can choose between a small or large box, depending on the sizes and numbers of your shoes.
Using hard-shell suitcases or bags is another correct method to pack shoes for moving. This method will allow you to save money on packing supplies. Also, the rough case of your bag will protect your shoes.
Bonus Tips on How to Pack Clothes Efficiently for Moving
When packing clothes for moving, it is crucial to pack and organize them properly. Good preparation will keep your things organized and make you stress-free. There are the essential tips that will make your life easier when packing your clothes for moving.
- Place heavy items at the bottom and lighter items at the top. You can use this technique for all types of belongings.
- Make sure to wash your clothes before you pack and move. This will prevent any unpleasant odors from being created and make the unpacking process easier.
- Avoid overstuffing the boxes. Overstuffing can cause damage and make them more susceptible to tears.
- Be sure to bring valuable clothing with you. Consider those with sentimental or monetary value. Carry them in your car.
- If possible, keep the clothes hanging on their hangers.
- Use dresser drawers to keep your folded clothing pieces.
- To protect your clothes, line cardboard boxes and suitcases with packing paper.
- To pack clothes, you will not use soon, use plastic storage containers.
- Pack a moving essentials bag. Ensure that your bag contains all the necessary items you will need immediately before and after your move.
I am pretty sure that the ideas mentioned in this article will help you pack your clothes efficiently for moving. Some tips will also save you money. So, follow these tips on how to pack clothes for moving and enjoy your life sooner.
If you are doing packing clothes by yourself, these suggestions can help make the packing process more efficient. If you are intending to have an unobtrusive approach to pack and move your clothes, let professional packers and movers handle the packaging for you. This approach will save you time and effort.
At Moving Solutions, you can find knowledgeable, trustworthy, and professional packers and movers for the job. They can pack your entire belongings (including clothes) efficiently at your convenience. And, you will have enough time to concentrate on getting settled into your new home.