Do you have got a job transfer? Thinking of moving to a new city? Thinking of transporting your goods by train (Indian railways)? If so, then I have covered you. In this article, you will learn everything about transporting goods from one city to another by train.
If you are moving from one city to another, then you have a lot on your plate. Undoubtedly, shifting possesses several challenges. Packing, transporting, loading, unloading, and unpacking are the core tasks that come with shifting.
There are professional packers and movers that can help you pack and transport your belongings. Employing professional packers and movers can be an expensive affair, but the reward is great – a safe and hassle-free move.
If you are thinking of an alternative to professional moving companies, then household goods shifting by train is an option. By using train luggage and parcel facilities, you can send your goods from one city to another at cheaper rates.
If you wish to transport household goods by train, you need to pack them yourself. You will need to buy packing supplies and boxes so that you can securely pack items to avoid damage. You will need to complete the packing assignment earlier to avoid last-minute hassles. However, you can get rid of this by hiring professional packers to complete the packing job on time.
Table of Contents
- How to Transport Household Items by Train
- How to Transport Goods as Parcel by Train
- Pros and Cons of Household Transportation by Train
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Transport Household Items by Train
When choosing a rail transport option to send your goods, you must understand how you can send your goods. Indian railways provide two kinds of luggage transport facilities – 1. Parcel and 2. Luggage.
- Parcel: If you choose the parcel option, then you don’t travel in the same way. Indian railways will transport your goods as a parcel.
- Luggage: If you choose the option of luggage transport by train, then you shift the goods on the same train that you are traveling. Luggage transport is the best option for a few items. If you have a pet, bicycle, or bike, then luggage transport by train would be the right choice.
How to Transport Goods as Parcel by Train
Goods transportation as a parcel by train – it is the most popular method to send goods from one city to another. If you need to transport your luggage or items as a parcel by train, you can book the same in advance at the railway parcel office. You just need to fill out the details in the booking form, pay the required fees and hand over the items to the parcel office. Collect the parcel from its destination station. In general, parcel transport by train takes 5-7 days. You can also book the parcel in train by online at the comfort of your home.
Process of parcel booking in the train to transport goods
Steps for Manual Booking of Railway Parcel
- Pack the items securely using good-quality packaging materials. The packing facility is also available at the railway parcel office.
- Visit the parcel-booking office (source)
- Fill out the parcel booking form (forwarding note) with the correct particulars
- Submit the completed Forwarding Note along with the parcel.
- The parcel will be weighed, and freight charges will be calculated at the booking counter
- Deposit the freight charges and collect the railway receipt
- Go to the parcel office at the destination railway station
- Submit the original railway receipt to the parcel office to collect the items
- Remember to bring the parcel booking receipt, as authorities will not hand over your goods without the receipt.
Steps for Online Booking for Parcels in Train
- Log on to www.parcel.indianrail.gov.in
- Register and log in to the portal
- Fill in the origin and destination stations in the online form.
- The system will suggest to you the list of trains. Select the train from the list through which you wish to send your goods.
- Fill out the correct particulars in the Booking Form (Forwarding Note) and submit.
- The system will calculate the approximate freight charges.
- Submit a system-generated e-forwarding note in the godown.
- Take a print of the e-forwarding note and hand over your parcel at the origin station.
- The system will weigh the parcel and calculate the actual freight charges at the booking counter.
- Pay the freight charges, collect the railway receipt (RR) and receive the tracking number.
- You can track and trace your parcel online.
- You will receive a notification once your parcel reaches its destination.
- Reach the destination station with the original railway receipt.
- Submit the railway receipt to the delivery counter and collect your package.
- Check: List of Terminus for Online Railway Parcel Booking
- Calculate Freight Charges: Freight Calculator
- Check: List of Latest Parcel Express Trains
A forwarding note will include the following particulars:
- Full name and address of the consignor (sender)
- Full name and address of the consignee (receiver)
- Description of the goods that you need to send
- Total weight of goods
- Total number of packages
- Marks on the packages
- Destination station name
- Freight paid or freight to pay
- Owner’s risk or railway risk
Download: Forwarding Note
The railway receipt will include the following details:
- Full name of the consignor (sender)
- Full name of the consignee (receiver)
- Brief description of the goods.
- Forwarding station name
- Destination station name
- Freight charges (paid or to pay)
Process of luggage transport booking in train
The second option to use a railway transport facility to transport your goods is luggage booking. You can send your goods as luggage if you have a few items. With this option, you will travel on the same train your goods are on board. Therefore, you need to have a valid reservation ticket. Here are the steps that you need to follow for luggage booking on the train.
- Visit the parcel office with your reservation ticket.
- Fill out the luggage booking form and make the payments.
- The official will give you a luggage booking receipt.
- On the day of travel, reach the station at least 4 hours before with your luggage.
- Go to the parcel office and show them the luggage booking receipt.
- The official will arrange for transferring the luggage to the platform and load the same in the luggage van.
- Contact the parcel office at the destination station to offload the luggage from the train.
- From the parcel office, receive the gate pass.
- Show valid identification proof while collecting luggage along with the gate pass.
- Afterward, take your belongings out of the station complex.
Pros and Cons of Household Transportation by Train
Benefits of transporting household items by train.
1. Budget-friendly: Household goods transportation by train is cheaper than transport by packers and movers.
2. Safety: When you choose the train, you will find it safer because the chances of accidents and breakdowns are minimal. If you compare the same with roadways; you will find rail transport safer. Also, there is no chance of falling into the trap of a moving scam if you use rail transport to send your goods.
3. High speed: Trains operate at high speeds. No other mode of transport may travel at this rate, except for the airways. In fact, this is the best choice for a long-distance move.
Drawbacks of freight transport by rail.
1. No door-to-door services: When you are moving the goods by train, you need to drop your goods at the station and pick them up from the station. Intermediary transport may cause more headaches and the chances of wear and tear.
2. Flexibility is missing: When you transport your goods through the railway, the schedule depends on their timetable. You cannot choose as per your preferences. This is a big issue.
3. Not good for a short distance: It is not a good mode of transportation for you to go nearby.
4. Centralized administration: As the central controls this, so providing the services as per the local needs is missing. This presents enough problems. But when you shift through roadways, you find the support as per your needs and requirements.
5. Lack of services for rural areas: If you need the services in rural areas, then you may find that the railway cannot provide the services. This inconveniences people who stay in rural areas.