Most Advanced Packers and Movers Cost Calculator
Never end up with surprise relocation bills. Use this calculator to estimate shifting charges now!
Looking for the best residential areas in Kolkata, West Bengal? If yes then read this article. You will get the best information about some of the best residential areas, posh areas, and localities of the city.
Kolkata, also known as the “City of Joy“, is the largest and capital city of the Indian state of West Bengal. It is home to some of the best residential areas to call your home.
The city is situated on the banks of the Hooghly River, traditionally called Ganga or also called Kali Ganga.
Kolkata is also called the “Cultural Capital of India” as it is one of the most important cultural centers in the country.
Also known as the City of Palaces, Kolkata was formerly known as Calcutta which is an Anglicized name of Kalikata. Kalikata is derived from the Bengali word Kalishetra, which means the Land of Goddess Kali. And this is the reason most of the Bengalis are devotees of the Goddess Kali.
The diversity of the cultures and traditions allures people to stay here forever. So, here is the list of the top 12 best areas in Kolkata to live:
Top Residential Areas in Kolkata, the City of Joy
1. Salt Lake (Bidhannagar) – A Planned City in Kolkata
Bidhannagar or Salt Lake is one of the posh areas in Kolkata with large green spaces. It is built on a recouped Saltwater lake. It has so many attractive places to visit like:
- ‘Nicco Park’ famous for water sports and other indoor activities. It is one of the oldest parks in Kolkata.
- ‘Salt Lake Central Park’ favorite hangout for lovers also known as Banabitan. It is the second-largest open space in Kolkata after the Maidan.
- ‘Salt Lake Stadium’ a multi-purpose stadium also known as Vivekananda Yuba Bharti Krirangan.
The developing commercial and IT sectors have resulted in an increased number of professionals working in the city. Because of the superfluity of IT hubs around the city, there is an abundance of the best residential houses accessible for the professionals working nearby. The connectivity is good enough that you can find schools, hospitals, malls at stone throw distance.
2. Tollygunge – Famed as the Centre of the Bengali Film Industry (Tollywood)
Tollygunge is the center of the Bengali film Industry known as Tollywood. Located in the South Kolkata area, it is the second–best area to stay in the city. There are several renowned institutions like Calcutta Institute of Engineering and Management, Institute of Mass Communication Film and Television Studies, Industrial Training Institute, NSHM Institute of Media & Design – Media College, Fashion Designing Institute, etc. One can easily connect from Tollygunge to the rest of the area through metro, buses, local trains, which is a great thing for the residents.
Apart from the film studio, Tollygunge is also famous for:
- Royal Calcutta Golf Club, which is great for the golf lovers who are planning to live in Tollygunge
- Fort William
- Shaheed Minar, etc.
3. Ballygunge – One of Posh Areas in Kolkata
Ballygunge is also one of the posh areas in Kolkata. The commercial infrastructure of Ballygunge and connectivity with the other part of South Kolkata make it the most preferred place to live. The famous Birla Mandir Temple built by the industrialist Birla family is situated on Asutosh Chowdhury Avenue, Ballygunge. The city consists of many reputed hospitals like:
- All Asia Medical Institute,
- Duncan Gleneagles Hospitals Ltd,
- Fortis Hospital and Kidney Institute.
- Apollo Gleneagles Heart Centre
And prominent institutions like:
- Ballygunge Institute
- Government Industrial Training Institute, Gariahat
- Institute of Business Management And Research
- Bengal Institute of Business Studies, etc.
4. Jadavpur – A Southern Neighbourhood of Kolkata
Jadavpur is one of the well-known South Kolkata areas. It is because of Jadavpur University which is one of the most sought-after engineering colleges. Jadavpur University is a preeminent university in the country run by the state government. It is the dream college of many students. Many such reputed national and international research institutes are there like:
- Department Of International Relations, Jadavpur University
- National Institute of Creative Performance,
- RACPA Film Institute Kolkata,
- Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science,
- The Indian Institute of Chemical Biology,
- Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute,
Cafe Mezzuna, Abar Baitthak ‘The Coffee Shop’, Chill’s South City Mall are a few good places to hang out with Families and Friends. Jadavpur 8B area and Sukanta Setu are very popular to shop almost everything. So there is no doubt that Jadavpur is one of the best places in Kolkata to live.
5. Dum Dum – A City and Part of Kolkata Metropolitan Area
Dum Dum is among the famous areas of Kolkata and is the site of Kolkata international airport. This international airport is named ‘Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport’ situated at Jessore Road, Dum Dum. Approximately 327 flights get operated here daily. Generally, DumDum is famous for its Jute Mills, Iron and Steel Rolling Units, and Glass Factories.
Below are some industrial units located in Dum Dum:
- Ordnance Factory Dum Dum,
- Jessop and Company,
- The Dum Dum Recording Studio of Saregama.
There are several educational institutions such as Sarojini Naidu College of Women, Auxilium Covent School, etc. And it has easily accessible nearby hospitals like Dum Dum Municipal Specialised Hospital and Dum Dum Central Jail Hospital. It is well-connected with the other parts of the area through metros, buses, taxies, and railways.
6. Behala Residential Area in Kolkata
One of the oldest residential areas in Kolkata, Behala is famous for 10 days Barisha Chandi Mela held every year. It is home to many celebrities like:
- Sabarna Roy Choudhary, the trustee of Kalighat Temple,
- Sourav Ganguly, former Indian national cricket captain and
- Soven Chatterjee, the former mayor of Kolkata
Behala Flying Training Institute (BFTI) or Behala Flying Club (BFC) is the second commercial airport of Kolkata after DumDum Airport. Behala consists of many small localities like Brhala Bazaar, Behala Chowrasta, Silpara, Kadamtala, etc. It has a huge population because of the ongoing growth of the area.
Many interesting places are there to visit such as Douglas Grounds, State Archaeological Museum, Sabarna Roy Chowdhury Family houses at Barisha and St. Peter’s Church. From the educational point of view, there are many colleges in Behala affiliated with the University of Calcutta. The IIM Calcutta is also very close to Behala.
7. Alipore – One Posh Areas in Kolkata
Along with Ballygune, Alipore comes under the poshest residential areas across the country. For several decades it is the home to the top industrialists like Bangur, Singhanias, Birlas, Mittals, and Goenkas. Numbers of industries spread over here:
- Tega Industries Limited,
- Bharat General and Textile Industries Limited,
- IFB Food Industries,
- Usha Martin Industries Limited.
Basically, Kolkata is famous for its theatre. If you are a theater lover, there are multiple options for you to enjoy. Ahindra Mancho, Kali Bazar Toilet, Open Air Theatre (UTTRINO) are a few famous theatres in Alipore.
8. New Alipore – A Posh Residential Area in Kolkata
The area is fully developed and provides people with every facility for today’s lifestyle. Alipore is mainly connected with the rest of the city through railways. It has two railway stations:
- New Alipore Railway Station and
- Majerhat Railway Station.
The rest of the area is covered with extensive bus services and auto-ricksha. It is surrounded by some of the attractive places you can visit like the National Library, Victoria Memorial at a very short distance. There are a few wonderful places to enjoy yourself with your family and friend during weekends and vacations. Zayka Restaurant and Bar, The Quince Restaurant Cum Bar and Lounge, and Ajanta Restaurant and Bar are famous for having delicious foods and spending quality time with dear ones.
9. Park Street – A Neighbourhood in Kolkata
Park Street is the busiest city of Kolkata, officially known as Mother Teresa Sarani. It is one of the areas near Kolkata airport. The driving distance between Park Street and Kolkata airport is just 13.7 miles approx. Park Street is only 5km distance away from the center of Kolkata.
Park Street is full of shops, malls, cafes, and pubs where people love to visit. Some of the famous pubs and cafes situated in Park Street are:
- Somewhere Else Pub at the Park Hotel,
- The Myx, etc.
Park Street is one of the favorite destinations for Party Beasts who love to enjoy the whole night. St. Xavier’s College, Asiatic Society, and South Park StreetCementry are also located in and around Park Street.
10. Golf Green – Neighbourhood in Kolkata
It is a housing complex developed by the housing board of the government of West Bengal. Golf Green is famous for its natural beauty, full of green parks. It has number of parks to enjoy:
- Golf Green Central Park,
- Golf Green CS Ground,
- Peyarabagan Park,
- Chhayabithi KMC Park.
Doctors, Engineers, and multiple celebrities are willing to settle down here because of its beauty, location, and atmosphere. It is easily accessible by railways and buses. From the educational point of view, there are a few schools like BDMI, Jingle Bells, Hirendra Leela Patranavis School, Khastagir Primary School, etc. For shopping lovers, South City and Acropolis Mall are not far from this.
11. Narendrapur Area in Kolkata
Situated on the banks of River Ganga, it is the best place to live in Kolkata. Narendtrapur Railway Station connects the city to the rest of India through Sealdha-Namkhana Line. Narendrapur is well known for its schools and colleges founded by Ramakrishna Mission. Some of them are:
- Ramakrishna Mission Residential College,
- Swami Vivekananda Institute of Management and Computer Science,
- Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys Academy, etc.
Because of the abundance of temples and mosques, religious people often visit here. Some of the famous among them are Sri Chaitanya GaudiyaPurna Peetha, BB Prayer Hall, and Narendrapur Ukhila Masjid. It is one of the must-visit destinations in Kolkata.
12. Sealdah – A Neighbourhood of central Kolkata
It also comes under the top residential areas in Kolkata. Sealdah has one of the major and busiest railway stations (Sealdah Railway Station) serving Kolkata. Sealdah is situated near the college street which is beneficial for the students living here. Joseph Day School, St Laetitias School, Loreto Day School Sealdah, Carey High School, etc are some of the schools in Sealdah.
There are parks and malls where you can hang out with friends and families:
- Parks: Convent Park, Vertical Wall Garden, Shraddhananda Park, etc.
- Malls: Quest mall, The Metro Plaza Shopping Mall, Forum Courtyard Mall, etc.
Overall, Kolkata is surely a wonderful place to live in as compared to the other cities of India. It is blessed with a variety of cultures. It can easily sustain higher to the lower-income people very well. Peoples here are so helpful. If you are planning to live in Kolkata you should do your own research over the areas you selected. It would be easy to adapt accordingly. Also, keep in mind the above-mentioned places.
If you are planning to relocate to Kolkata then you can hire the desired shifting services through Movingsolutions.in, which is India’s best relocation portal. If you are looking for a reliable company of Packers and Movers in Kolkata then also you can hire with this portal.
- Top 20 Best Residential Places in Bangalore to Live
- 41+ Best Residential Areas and Places to Live in Delhi
- 10+ Best Residential Areas in Ahmedabad to Live
- Top 12 Best Places and Areas to Live in Kolkata, West Bengal
- Top 21 Best Places to Live in Gurgaon for Family
- List of Major Cities in India – Know Your City
- Ahmedabad City Guide -Best Information About Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Top 10 Night Clubs that Define Nightlife in Mumbai, City That Never Sleeps
- 7 Best Residential Places and Posh Areas in Mumbai – City of Dreams
- 10 Best Areas and Sectors to Live in Noida for Bachelors and Family
- 7 Most Popular and Best Residential Areas in Ghaziabad
- Top 20 Best Residential Areas in Hyderabad for Families and IT Professionals
- 21 Best Residential Localities in Pune to Live with Family
- Agra City Information and Travel Guide – What You Need to Know
- Planning to Move? Consider to Move to One of These 20 Upcoming Smart Cities of India
I am a passionate content marketer, business writer, blogger, content editor, and information junkie with a penchant for reading & writing. I have been working with writing challenged clients for over 15 years.